I have been unable to find a simple list of companies that are using agile / lean for biz funk purposes (e.g., marketing, content development, finance, etc). So I figured I’d create my own list. I’ve only included examples that I could verify with at least one source. Not a perfect method, since not everything on the internet is truthy, and some of the links are a few years old, but it is a start. So consider this list to be one of those “living documents.” And you can help to keep it alive! If you know of another company that is using biz funk agile, please feel free to suggest it (and your source) in the comments.
Company Name, Team Type, Comment / Source(s):
- Kaplan Test Prep, Marketing & Content Development
- Cyrus Innovation, HR & Accounting, Slides from Matt Salerno
- OpenView Partners, Marketing & Sales, They work in the same building as Jeff Sutherland
- Unitarian Churches, Church, Jeff Sutherland wrote about this
- NPR (Radio), Program Development, “Agile Inspired“
- Ashram College, Education, Secondary education in Alphen aan den Rijn, the Netherlands
- HubSpot, Marketing, Since May 2011
- Portrait / Photography, Wedding Planning
- Be2.com, Social Media, manage the whole organization using Scrum
- TaskTop Technologies, Marketing
- Land O’Frost, Operations, Sells lunch meats, easily my favorite example
- University of Maryland, Research Group
- SunCorp, Finance & Procurement, a bank
- Telstra, External Communications, Telecommunications company
- Lonely Planet, In-house Lawyers, Guide books
- AccuRev, Training, Trained sales team
- WIKISPEED, Auto Manufacturing, Developed 100mpg car using Scrum
- Prestige Law Firm, Lawyers, A NZ firm
From time to time I’ll post what I think are the best agile / lean articles I’ve read over the last few months. Feel free to suggest additional articles in the comments!
- Agile Product Ownership in a Nutshell: I love everything Henrik Kniberg does, so forgive me if this video isn’t specifically focused on Biz Funk agile…I still think it is a great starting point and gives you a great bang for your 15min buck.
- This set of slides is also by Henrik Kniberg. Agile for your home! I love how he uses visuals to demystify a lot of the agile / lean terms…and show the value of using it to organize your personal life. Fun to scroll through…sort of like looking at the Facebook photos of a friend of a friend.
- A 35min video / slide presentation on using Biz Funk agile to make bathtubs! Save this one for when your netflix streaming queue runs dry.
On April 9th, I will be facilitating short presentations from an Editorial/Content creation Team and a Marketing Team that used Agile practices to execute their projects and work at Kaplan Test Prep. This presentation will be followed by a panel discussion where team members and stakeholders talk about what prompted them to try it and how it worked for the execution teams, while sharing the good, the bad, and the future.
Sign up here!
As an Agile Coach for Kaplan Test Prep, I wondered what to call the flavor of agile adopted by our teams that do not create software. Non-software agile? Non-developer agile? No-Code Agile?
Perhaps. But who wants to be defined by the negative of another word? Not me!
So, I’m coining the phrase Business & Functional Agile. Biz Func Agile. Biz Funk Agile. BFA.
It’s agile for business teams (e.g., content & product) and functional teams (e.g., marketing & finance).
In Biz Funk Agile we trust.